1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

LiveTV and SMB shares to PC server not working.

Any issues that are tvOS specific
three6zerocool

LiveTV and SMB shares to PC server not working.

Post by three6zerocool » 01 Oct 2018, 09:45

Hello.

I use Mediaportal running on Windows 10 PC, and use 2 AppleTV 4K's running MrMC for LiveTV, and the Plex service for Movies and TV.

Apple released TVOS update, which has updated both my AppleTV4k's.

LiveTV and shared folders via SMB no longer function.

The MediaPortal PVR addon in MrMC seems to run normally, and imports the guide and channel data.
It lists the channels, but when I select a channel, I just get black screen, and error message about being unable to access the time shift folder on the PC running MediaPortal.

Likewise, SMB shares no longer work at all.
This is occurring on both AppleTV's running MrMC.

I have checked, and the folders on my PC are shared correctly.
To confirm this, I setup the same PVRaddon on my Surface running Kodi.
It works perfectly, so seems to indicate the issue is not sharing access issue, but a networking issue with the AppleTV's.

Is anyone experiencing similar?, as I am completely perplexed as to what is happening.

Plex service working perfect, and can play movies and TV shows fine, but shares and LiveTV are more dead than disco.

Any ideas?

Rollins

Re: LiveTV and SMB shares to PC server not working.

Post by Rollins » 01 Oct 2018, 10:48

Live TV is broken for me in the same manner on a fire TV using NextPVR as the backend. I also get guide data, but am unable to tune to channels.

Everything works perfectly on Kodi and SPMC for TV service. I don't know about SMB being the issue though, because all my movie and TV SMB shares work correctly without issue.

Perhaps it is a ffmpeg thing within MrMC. I was hoping the NextPVR extension was simply out of date.

amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet » 01 Oct 2018, 11:00

fire tv has an issue with HW decoder, please post a debuglog preferably in the separate thread as this seems like a totally different issue.

as for SMB issues, @davilla suggested to switch over to libsmbclient in this thread -> https://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4386 see if that helps

three6zerocool

Post by three6zerocool » 02 Oct 2018, 07:59

Update.

I tried using libsmb2 in Settings/services/SMB client/
(Previously I never had to use these service options at all, , as things just worked )

Using libsmb2, for the first time I get picture, but it is completely broken up, and is pixelated mess watching live TV, and freezes after several seconds.
Recordings play back fine within the TV client area tho.
SMB shares remain non functional.

As well as AppleTV being updated, it appears that my PC has auto updated to Windows 10, 1803.
Apparently this causes a lot of reported SMB issues.?.

My Surface tablet continues to work sterling using Kodi, and MediaPortal PVR addon, and the latest Windows 10, 1803 .

Is it necessary to configure Mr MC SMB client settings?, like why did things work perfect before?

Dogstar

Post by Dogstar » 02 Oct 2018, 09:17

I don‘t think that Windows updates messed up the SMB connections. With the old version of MrMc everything was perfect and Apps like FileBrowserTV that also work with SMB are still running perfect under tvOS 12 and actual Windows servers.

three6zerocool

Post by three6zerocool » 02 Oct 2018, 11:32

I actually think that the 1803 build has fubar'd Networking.

Here's my logic...
I have a couple of AppleTV 4's still running pre 3.7 versions of MrMC, and on TVOS 11.x.
(I had them packed away, as had updated to AppleTV4k's after getting a new TV)

Both of them do the same thing, and can not connect to shares on my Windows 10 PC hosting MediaPortal.

This indicates that the TVOS 12 is not the issue, and also that MrMC current version appears not to be an issue either, as the previous versions do the same thing.

The only constant is my PC has been updated to build 1803 of Windows 10.

Tonight I spent hours installing fresh 1803 from latest media creation tool, and fresh install of MediaPortal TV Server, just to try and eliminate that my Windows 10 was not corrupted.

The same issues persist with LiveTV and shares to folders on my PC, using AppleTV4k.
It just does does not freakin work right regardless of any MrMC SMB settings.
(It is more _____d __ than the most _____d __ thing that's ever been totally _____d __ before). (And that's saying something!). (Grin)

I am now turning my attention to Windows 10, 1803, and trying to see what the smeg is causing this
behavior, but judging by the numerous threads I have come across thus far, I have an inkling that I have a starting point at least.

three6zerocool

Solved: Re: LiveTV and SMB shares to PC server not working.

Post by three6zerocool » 02 Oct 2018, 12:51

Ok, worked it out.

It was the 1803 Windows 10 Update that caused my issues.
Microsoft have removed SMB v1 support by default.

Am guessing MediaPortal TV Server and it's matching plugin in MrMC still require it.

It can be re-enabled in Windows 10 1803 by doing the following.

1. Type Control Panel in Windows magnifying glass icon Search pane.
2. Click on programs
3. Click on Programs and Features
4. Click on Turn Windows Features on or off
5. Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support tree.
6. Check the box SMB 1.0/CIFS Server
7. After it installs, restart computer.
8. In settings, Select Network and Internet, and click Sharing Options
Make sure Turn on Automatic setup of network connected devices and file and printer sharing is on.
9. Restart computer and Apple TV.

This fixed things for me, and now works as it did before, and LiveTV works, and can access all my PC shares once more. Note: I was able to reset the SMB MrMC settings, so not using Libsmb, as never had to use it before,

amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet » 02 Oct 2018, 15:19

thanks for that @three6zerocool

added to our wiki, I hope you dont mind :)

https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php?title=SMB

mats_o

Post by mats_o » 02 Oct 2018, 17:21

I strongly agree that SMB1 shouldn't be used due to security but if you have too ... This is what MS did
In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional do not automatically remove SMB1 initially. If the SMBv1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically uninstall themselves.
In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education do not automatically remove SMB1. An administrator must decide to uninstall SMB1 in these managed environments.
Automatic removal of SMB1 after 15 days is a one-time operation. If an administrator re-installs SMB1, no further attempts will be made to uninstall it.
from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... in-windows
There is a patch for SMB1 in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4284848 that may apply too

three6zerocool

Post by three6zerocool » 02 Oct 2018, 21:06

I did actually try that patch too, but it said it don't apply to this build of Windows.
(meaning that it was already part of cumulative update to 1803)

Security wise, I guess it is all down to usage. My Windows PC is pure HTPC, and is just that, a backend serving up content. It has a local account with user/password for sharing, with no access for group everyone, so as long as I don't have to jump thru hoops to access those shares, that is more important to me than potential security vulnerabilities.
(kinda a non issue for my intended usage scenario me thinks)

However, for business/enterprise scenarios, I 100% agree that security is of utmost importance.