1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

DOLBY ATMOS in IOS 12

Any issues that are tvOS specific
Everbrave

Re: DOLBY ATMOS in IOS 12

Post by Everbrave »

timstephens24 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 21:49 Nope, MrMC has been working great so far. There's some audio issues with other apps but not MrMC. I do want to say that I wouldn't recommend loading the developer beta since bugs that might pop up won't get worked out for a few months (like there's been a few audio issues I've had so far, not with MrMC but it's highly likely there might be issues as they work on Atmos) and there's really no benefit to it since there's very sparse movies with support so far.
Thanks 😊
semperfixd

Post by semperfixd »

davilla wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 00:01
Godmax wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 21:47 First we need Dolby Vision then we can talk about Atmos! See you in 2022!
Dolby Vision has it's own thread :) please keep this thread about Dolby Atmos.
Should we be hopeful about getting TrueHD Atmos passthrough in mrmc? :) how's it looking so far?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

semperfixd wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 17:48
davilla wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 00:01
Godmax wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 21:47 First we need Dolby Vision then we can talk about Atmos! See you in 2022!
Dolby Vision has it's own thread :) please keep this thread about Dolby Atmos.
Should we be hopeful about getting TrueHD Atmos passthrough in mrmc? :) how's it looking so far?
Not touching it until tvOS 12 rolls out. As far as I've seen, no 3rd party has access yet.
Hansel

Post by Hansel »

Just bought an ATV4K due to the upcoming Atmos support, so hopefully it works well in MrMC/Plex or I guess it's going back :D
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Hansel wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 02:22 Just bought an ATV4K due to the upcoming Atmos support, so hopefully it works well in MrMC/Plex or I guess it's going back :D
what is your return window?
Hansel

Post by Hansel »

cosmoxl wrote:
Hansel wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 02:22 Just bought an ATV4K due to the upcoming Atmos support, so hopefully it works well in MrMC/Plex or I guess it's going back :D
14 days from yesterday, so it'll be tight! Assuming it's released on the 12th during the announcement. Guess it'll depend if they release information along with it or just leave it to devs to figure out.

I'll probably keep it regardless realistically but I'll have to use my existing device for Atmos titles I guess which isn't ideal.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Hansel wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 02:33
cosmoxl wrote:
14 days from yesterday, so it'll be tight! Assuming it's released on the 12th during the announcement. Guess it'll depend if they release information along with it or just leave it to devs to figure out.

I'll probably keep it regardless realistically but I'll have to use my existing device for Atmos titles I guess which isn't ideal.
It doesn't work that way. After tvOS 12 is released it'll be some time before devs can try to work on getting Atmos to work for our personal media.

See Davilla's message above.
Hansel

Post by Hansel »

cosmoxl wrote:
cosmoxl wrote: what is your return window?

It doesn't work that way. After tvOS 12 is released it'll be some time before devs can try to work on getting Atmos to work for our personal media.

I code for my day job so I understand it's not an instant process, I just mean if Apple releases more (some!) documentation or clarify certain things (such as that Atmos will only work with iTunes rentals or the like) then I'll have enough info to make my decision to keep it or not.

Honestly I've only just realised last night that they broke passthrough in 11.3, and while I understand that getting raw PCM is just as good or better, it's still a pretty backward thing to break, and the lack of DTS:X isn't helping my decision either.

It's a shame as, aside from the weird audio stance they have, this thing is close to a perfect streamer. As it is they're gimping it for seemingly no good reason.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Hansel wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 20:14
cosmoxl wrote:

I code for my day job so I understand it's not an instant process, I just mean if Apple releases more (some!) documentation or clarify certain things (such as that Atmos will only work with iTunes rentals or the like) then I'll have enough info to make my decision to keep it or not.

Honestly I've only just realised last night that they broke passthrough in 11.3, and while I understand that getting raw PCM is just as good or better, it's still a pretty backward thing to break, and the lack of DTS:X isn't helping my decision either.

It's a shame as, aside from the weird audio stance they have, this thing is close to a perfect streamer. As it is they're gimping it for seemingly no good reason.
Yep, I agree. And the Shield doesn't do dolby vision so there's no device that does it all unless you decide to use a home theater PC.
Hansel

Post by Hansel »

While we're chatting I wonder if you could clarify something for me (which would certainly influence my decision to keep the ATV), as I admit to being confused by all this audio stuff, at least when it comes to PCM etc

My setup is as follows:

ATV 4K (MrMC with the Plex plugin)
Marantz AVR
5.1.4 speakers (for Atmos)

I also have a Vero4K which I've been using up until now (full audio support).

If I play say a DTS:X encoded movie through the Vero, my amp will show all speakers used (including the ceilings) and DTS:X as the input, as you'd expect. In MrMC on the ATV, I select 5.1 speakers in the Audio Setup section (not sure if I should select 7.1 to account for the ceiling speakers to be honest, at least when Atmos support is released?) but as the ATV can't handle DTS:X the amp shows the 5.1 speakers used, and Multi Channel In - PCM as the input. Am I correct in thinking that this PCM input is really just DTS-HD MA? So it's still the same quality of audio, it's just missing the height channels?

More simply I suppose, if I were to play a regular DTS movie, I'd still see the same Multi Channel PCM display, but it would actually be the exact same sound coming out?

There's just something psychological when you can't see the name of the audio on the amp that makes me question if it's of the same quality or not, at least for someone like me who doesn't have a good grasp of how PCM etc works.

Thanks!