1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Optimal Settings for ATV4K connect to DV OLED?

Any issues that are tvOS specific
buddyrich

Optimal Settings for ATV4K connect to DV OLED?

Post by buddyrich » 29 Apr 2018, 13:54

Just bought MrMC though have had the Lite version for awhile. Im also a former XBMC/Kodi user on Windows HTPC.

I must admit I am a little confused by all the settings, though mostly because Apple introducing changes/bugs in 11.3 so I am look for "optimal" settings for my use case.

My AV chain is as follows:

ATV4k to LG B6 to AVR (source is via Plex using GDM via the MrMC client not the new Plex Addon)

My AVR doesn't support 4K or HDR or I'd passthrough it first. The choice for me was 4K HDR or DTSHD/DolbyTruHD... (the x7 series supports more via ARC...)

About 60% of my content is MKV 1080p H264 bluray rip with DTSHD or DolbyTruHD, 5% MKV VC1 bluray, 30% MPEG2 DVD rip in MKV (used MakeMKV for all of these) and 5% other (mostly 1080p and 2160p MKVs via HEVC a real mix of audio) all streamed via Plex.

My AppleTV is set to match rate and content. I also have audio set to auto as its most compatible with the ARC of my TV.

From what I read in this thread:

http://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... fc46dfb3fc

The default video settings should be best. (VTB enabled, VTB for HEVC HDR disable, AF enabled).

More of a general question is there a benefit to VTB over AF renderer?

On the audio side I am not sure what my settings should be, especially with passthrough gone in 11.3.

My TV won't do LPCM 5.1 via ARC (only 2.0).

Im wondering if I should set speakers to 2.0, turn off passthrough and have MrMC decode everything to 2.0 LPCM. If I want to perserve some type of surround audio, could I set speakers to 5.1(7.1) and enabled passthrough for DD only (leave it off for DTS and the HD codecs) and set Apple to DD only. Will this passthrough DD (and DD core from TruHD) untouched, and then encode the 5.1 LPCM from the others to DD? If I leave ATV setting to Auto I wonder what it would do with the 5.1 LPCM?

I would assume this would at least be some sort of surround sound option but things are being unpacked by MrMC and repacked (lossy) by tvOS.

Finally since this is all via the network and plex should I change the network buffers at all? I do find it takes a few seconds for by H264 blurays to start playing. Ive never adjusted these in Kodi before for Windows but I know they sometimes needed adjustment for Android.

Any I would appreciate any feedback (and apologize if I am asking rehased questions-I couldn't find anything on the audio, but did for the video).

amet
Team MrMC

Re: Optimal Settings for ATV4K connect to DV OLED?

Post by amet » 29 Apr 2018, 14:04

apple wont accept any audio passthrough, so try setting speakers to (5.1)7.1 and disable passthrough ... on tvOS side try to enable DD to see if that helps.

see this -> https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php?title=Audio_Setup

buddyrich

Post by buddyrich » 29 Apr 2018, 19:49

For the audio, when I tested DD passthrough, it resulted in noise so I ended up at the settings you recommended (disable passthrough altogether). I though the passthrough was only broken with DTS, my mistake.

On the ATV side I leave it set to Auto rather than forcing DD output (which only outputs in DD). Only difference with Auto that I noticed is that all 5.1/7.1 mixes(DTSHD, TruHD, DD and DTS) get output as DD, but on some of my older rips of classic movies the DD 2.0 tracks get output as 2.0 LPCM instead. 2.0 LPCM is also supported without issue by my TVs ARC so no biggie... I do use Apple Music, so perhaps that is better than encoding it to DD as well. I can use my AVRs Dolby Prologic settings on the PCM signal.

Whats the difference between the VTB and AF renderers, is there any? And are there network caching settings I should change to improve performance from Plex? I do find movies take a moment to start (though it might be down to ATV framerate matching, though it doesn't blank out - just looks paused for a moment).

Is there a way to turn on the codec information overlay (used to be i in Kodi-though even Kodi neutered its output in the latest versions on windows with their renderer rewrite).

amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet » 29 Apr 2018, 19:54

Buffer is set to 200mb, if you have local plex you can drop that down a bit...

I prefer VTB since it has suppprt for light effects, either or should work just fine

https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php?title=Codec_Info