1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Passthrough issue

Any issues that are tvOS specific
Antibus

Re: Passthrough issue

Post by Antibus »

My ATV4K decided to update itself to 11.3 even though I had set it to not update automatically. So no passthrough for me. Thanks Apple!

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get multichannel PCM from MrMC. I've turned off passthrough, left the number of output channels at 2.0, and the ATV is still set to Best Quality, but I only see stereo output on DD, DTS, and anything else I've tried. How do I get MrMC to decode these into multichannel? BTW, this is HDMI going to an Onkyo AVR which has correctly shown multichannel in the past (for EAC3, for example).
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Antibus wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 22:05 My ATV4K decided to update itself to 11.3 even though I had set it to not update automatically. So no passthrough for me. Thanks Apple!

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get multichannel PCM from MrMC. I've turned off passthrough, left the number of output channels at 2.0, and the ATV is still set to Best Quality, but I only see stereo output on DD, DTS, and anything else I've tried. How do I get MrMC to decode these into multichannel? BTW, this is HDMI going to an Onkyo AVR which has correctly shown multichannel in the past (for EAC3, for example).
Just increase the number of channels in MrMC to what you actually have. two channels = stereo you know. ;)
Antibus

Post by Antibus »

cosmoxl wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 22:08
Antibus wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 22:05 My ATV4K decided to update itself to 11.3 even though I had set it to not update automatically. So no passthrough for me. Thanks Apple!

Just increase the number of channels in MrMC to what you actually have. two channels = stereo you know. ;)
Yup, that got it working - thanks!

I guess I'm confused where it says that for digital output to leave it at 2.0. I guess that's just for passthrough.
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

Antibus wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 22:19 I guess I'm confused where it says that for digital output to leave it at 2.0. I guess that's just for passthrough.
Yup, that's just for passthrough. When passthrough is enabled, MrMC just sends the audio as is and does nothing to it.
monkbolt

Post by monkbolt »

timstephens24 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 19:40 PCM is just the uncompressed version of whatever the audio codec is; the quality is exactly the same. How your receiver's volume works with PCM vs the codec could be different, but it's a volume issue not a quality issue.
I understand that, theoretically, the quality should be the same. But, to my ears, even with the volume adjusted, the same movies sound punchier, more impressive when I play them in MrMC compared to Plex. Is it possible that my receiver applies some EQ when decoding to make up for its deficiencies (I have a rather low-end Yamaha AVR) that it doesn't apply when the decoding is done by my Apple TV? That's the only explanation I could think of, other than some cognitive bias causing me to perceive reality inaccurately (which is more than possible).
timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 »

monkbolt wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 23:10 But, to my ears, even with the volume adjusted, the same movies sound punchier, more impressive when I play them in MrMC compared to Plex.
Is Plex transcoding? I would assume that's the difference (and why the default Plex app sucks).
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

If I'm using HDMI to connect the ATV4K my TV and S/PDIF from there to connect to the AVR (because it doesn't support 4K), should I enable Dolby Digital in ATV4K to get proper multichannel output? Passthrough is disabled in MrMC. I'm getting me an HDMI splitter to avoid the whole passthrough issue but while waiting, I'd like to get things working with S/PDIF.
MarkusSwe

Post by MarkusSwe »

Hi!
I have a Apple 4K and can’t flirt the sound to work, if I enable passtrough I get a static noice and if I disable it I loose the center channel, I get no dialogue 😕
Connected via hdmi to tv and arc back to The receiver, what to do?
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

To summarize this thread contents:

Apple broke audio pass through in 11.3. They need to fix it. There is nothing any tvOS App can do to fix it.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

MarkusSwe wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 16:24 Hi!
I have a Apple 4K and can’t flirt the sound to work, if I enable passtrough I get a static noice and if I disable it I loose the center channel, I get no dialogue 😕
Connected via hdmi to tv and arc back to The receiver, what to do?
How is MrMC audio setup ?