1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Passthrough stopped working in tvOS 11.2 b1

Any issues that are tvOS specific
Selest

Re: Passthrough stopped working in tvOS 11.2 b1

Post by Selest »

cosmoxl wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 23:27
Selest wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 20:23
higher wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 10:02

I have tried every possible setting but the result is always static noise when passthrough is enabled in MrMC. Multichannel PCM works fine. If I select DD 5.1 (instead of Best Quality Available) for Surround Sound in tvOS settings and disable passthrough in MrMC everything is passed through as Dolby Digital (DD symbol lights up on amplifier) which is strange because, like I said, passthrough is disabled in MrMC.

I am little confused as to why mine i working, or have you not tried my suggestion in the earlier post? 100% working here no static, can switch between DD 5.1 and TrueHD 7.1 in same movie to confirm..... receiver showing 7.1 PCM

Best Quality ATV4K
loud clicks off on ATV4K
DTS capable receiver off
DD capable receiver off <-----
You're not getting passthrough with that setup. You're getting multi channel PCM.
ok that makes sense.. so getting pcm instead of lpcm
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Selest wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 13:26
Selest wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 20:23

I am little confused as to why mine i working, or have you not tried my suggestion in the earlier post? 100% working here no static, can switch between DD 5.1 and TrueHD 7.1 in same movie to confirm..... receiver showing 7.1 PCM

Best Quality ATV4K
loud clicks off on ATV4K
DTS capable receiver off
DD capable receiver off <-----
You're not getting passthrough with that setup. You're getting multi channel PCM.
LPCM is a type of PCM. Both are analog signals which you can consider uncompressed. This is because MrMC is decoding and doing digital to analog conversion.

Passthrough or bitstream as it's used in audio/video context such as this is when a compressed, digital, audio stream is sent to a sink (receiver) untouched. The receiver does the decoding, the digital to analog conversion, of the stream. A receiver will generally light up with a DD, or DTS or Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Mas, etc. light.
Selest

Post by Selest »

cosmoxl wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 13:38

LPCM is a type of PCM. Both are analog signals which you can consider uncompressed. This is because MrMC is decoding and doing digital to analog conversion.

Passthrough or bitstream as it's used in audio/video context such as this is when a compressed, digital, audio stream is sent to a sink (receiver) untouched. The receiver does the decoding, the digital to analog conversion, of the stream. A receiver will generally light up with a DD, or DTS or Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Mas, etc. light.

I disagree .... Thats not the way it works.... an LPCM stream ,in the sense that everyone refers to it in, is every bit a lossless 1 fo 1 as Truehd and DTS HD, which are in fact LPCM streams. The receiver does not have to light up in the retail codecs (DTS ..ect..) to get lossless audio, example... any flac converted encoded movie 5.1 or 7.1 and a PS4 (which is not dedicated to either dts or dobly) so their bit stream is every bit of true lossless LPCM. So on many receivers this shows up as PCM even though you are getting a true lossless bitsteam... MRMC does the same thing considering the apple tv is not built to decode the higher end codecs...
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Selest wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 14:14
cosmoxl wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 13:38

I disagree .... Thats not the way it works.... an LPCM stream ,in the sense that everyone refers to it in, is every bit a lossless 1 fo 1 as Truehd and DTS HD, which are in fact LPCM streams. The receiver does not have to light up in the retail codecs (DTS ..ect..) to get lossless audio, example... any flac converted encoded movie 5.1 or 7.1 and a PS4 (which is not dedicated to either dts or dobly) so their bit stream is every bit of true lossless LPCM. So on many receivers this shows up as PCM even though you are getting a true lossless bitsteam... MRMC does the same thing considering the apple tv is not built to decode the higher end codecs...
I never said PCM, as MrMC decodes and outputs, is lossy.
Everbrave

Post by Everbrave »

A quick note: PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is by itself not an analogue Signal, but results from sampling an analogue signal.
https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-pcm-1846928
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

Everbrave wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 18:59 A quick note: PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is by itself not an analogue Signal, but results from sampling an analogue signal.
https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-pcm-1846928
Of course, correct. We're dealing with all digital systems when outputting HDMI. But, in trying to compare PCM with streams such as DTS-HD, and how MrMC decodes such and outputs PCM, it's handy to just call it analog.
higher

Post by higher »

FYI, passthrough (DD and DTS) works again in tvOS 11.2 b3.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

higher wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 10:13 FYI, passthrough (DD and DTS) works again in tvOS 11.2 b3.
thx :)
higher

Post by higher »

Sorry to resurrect this topic.

I have noticed recently (perhaps after the 3.3.1 update) that TrueHD tracks are sent as DD to my receiver and not as PCM like it used to. Enable passthrough and DD/DTS capable receiver are ticked. TrueHD tracks don't normally have an AC3 core like DTS-HDMA so I wonder how it is possible.
mrs4t4n

Post by mrs4t4n »

I also started to have problems with passthrough...
The movie/tvshow starts to play ok, sounds good, but after 1 minute or 2 the signals stops and static/broken noise comes up... If i disable passtrough the sound comes back...

I'm not sure, but i think this behabiour started with 11.2.b5...