1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

MrMC and ATV airplay receiver

Any issues that are tvOS specific
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: MrMC and ATV airplay receiver

Post by davilla » 30 Aug 2017, 16:34

For tvOS/iOS, the internal airplay ability is disabled in favor of the built-in ATV4 airplay. This is because the built-in ATV4 airplay functionality is and will always be better than the internal hacked reverse-engineered solution.

It is enabled for Android based devices because there is no other solution.

Using the ATV4 built-in airplay is like running some tvOS app. When one brings MrMC to the front, the ATV4 airplay behaves just like any other App, playback stops and the selected App is brought to the front.

What behavior is expected and where would the airplay content show when MrMC is brought to the front ?

steve1977

Post by steve1977 » 31 Aug 2017, 01:53

Thanks for your replies. I should have been more specific. I am referring to airplay audio (not video). And yes, this is only about the ATV-built-in airplay receiver.

I am playing airplay audio and can open other apps without the airplay audio stream to stop. My use case is that I am playing airplay audio. I would then like to open MrMC and browse through menus. Only once I start playing audio or video within MrMC, I of course expect airplay to stop. It does work with other apps, so I don't think that this is per se impossible.

Any more thoughts appreciated!

cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl » 31 Aug 2017, 02:28

steve1977 wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 01:53
Thanks for your replies. I should have been more specific. I am referring to airplay audio (not video). And yes, this is only about the ATV-built-in airplay receiver.

I am playing airplay audio and can open other apps without the airplay audio stream to stop. My use case is that I am playing airplay audio. I would then like to open MrMC and browse through menus. Only once I start playing audio or video within MrMC, I of course expect airplay to stop. It does work with other apps, so I don't think that this is per se impossible.

Any more thoughts appreciated!
As soon as MrMC starts up it takes control of the audio device. You can control how long the audio device stays alive but it'll still take over upon startup.

steve1977

Post by steve1977 » 31 Aug 2017, 08:31

So, nothing I can do? Upon opening MrMC I'll lose the airplay stream? There are other apps that will keep the stream upon opening.

Also related bug - I can play airplay stream when MrMC is open, but I often lose the stream when browsing through MrMC menus. Any way that the airplay stream keeps playing?

amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet » 31 Aug 2017, 09:35

not much you can do I am afraid, we need to open audio device once we run as we have button clicks and notifications that use it.

steve1977

Post by steve1977 » 31 Aug 2017, 15:28

What about if I disable the button-clicks (already done) and notifications (how to disable?). Would this "solve" the issue?

amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet » 31 Aug 2017, 15:31

steve1977 wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 15:28
What about if I disable the button-clicks (already done) and notifications (how to disable?). Would this "solve" the issue?
would have to dig into core to see but I doubt it, we are an audio/video player, its natural that first thing we do is capture audio sink :)

davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla » 31 Aug 2017, 15:35

No, that would not help. Core design is to attach and open the audio sink on startup or being brought to front.

There would have to be core refactoring of the basic design. Plus, dealing with the fact of if you open/setup the sink on audio demand, the audio you hear will be delayed by up to 1/2 second until everything syncs up. Maybe ok for music but a killer for video.

I'll take a look at it when I get some time. Right now we are trying to get 3.1.0 out of testflight.

steve1977

Post by steve1977 » 01 Sep 2017, 06:39

Thanks. And yes, obviously the current TF should take priority. Hope you will come up with some magic answer thereafter. I assume that airplay (audio) will increase in importance for many users with the soon arrival of airplay 2 offering synced multi-room music on the ATV. And it would still be nice to be able to check out what movie I'd like to watch next, while listening to music.

steve1977

Post by steve1977 » 13 Jan 2018, 13:20

Pulling up a thread from a few months ago.

Is there any chance that audio keeps playing when opening MrMC on IOS/TVOS? With airplay 2 around the corner, my airplay use will further increase. I like the idea of listening to the music all the way until I start music or video within MrMC. I already disabled audio clicks in GUI. So, I can play music within MrMC. Only missing piece is the opening process of MrMC where audio still stops.