1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

LightEffects/BobLight client help

Any issues that are tvOS specific
wizbang

LightEffects/BobLight client help

Post by wizbang » 08 Jul 2017, 22:46

I am looking at creating a BobLight Server specifically to support Philips Hue lights as I haven't had any success with boblightd servers that I have found on the Net. The best I have managed so far is the one built into LibreElec (Hyperion), but it only works for about 5 mins before it gets a buffer overflow and drops the connection.

I have the basics of a socket server in place, so that I can see what requests MrMC is sending over the connection and work out the best way of implementing the Hue support.
I find that MrMC is not very forgiving if the server does not respond with EXACTLY what it is expecting and when something goes wrong MrMC just hangs, so I have to kill it and open it again.
I've enabled all the options in the System Settings -> Logging, but nothing seems to be output to the logs wrt LightEffects.

Two things:
1. Is it possible to make MrMC a bit more forgiving when it sees errors on the LightEffects client, especially if the IP address is incorrect and not running a server :roll:
2. Is there any debugging information available wrt the LightEffects client?

Any help/advice would be most welcome :)

davilla
Team MrMC

Re: LightEffects/BobLight client help

Post by davilla » 08 Jul 2017, 23:11

wizbang

Post by wizbang » 08 Jul 2017, 23:36

Thanks davilla.
I'll take a look when I can.
I'm engrossed in trying to work out the best way to smooth out the light update requests to keep the Hue Bridge happy at the moment, so may be a few days before I get around to looking.

amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet » 09 Jul 2017, 10:07

Hi,

I have tested on original boblightd and now I am running Hyperion with boblight enabled, all is running fine.

Hyperion is running on rpi, the oldest one there is :)

hope that helps

wizbang

Post by wizbang » 30 Jul 2017, 22:39

Okay, so I've got a working boblightd server designed for Philips Hue lights now (https://github.com/WizBangCrash/HueBobLightd).

It's written in Python3 and has been tested on macOS, Windows and Synology DSM.

MrMC works great. I've had my server running for a week now and watched a number of films and TV shows with no problems. My only real issue is that if LightEffects are enabled and the boblightd server is down or crashes, then MrMC hangs trying to connect to the server. If you wait long enough you do get an error message come up, but it takes a lonnngggg time.
The LightEffects code in GitHub has a 5 second timeout for the connection, but it's more like 5 minutes when attempting to connect to a server that is down. Having a shorter timeout and some retry code might be a better option..

vbonline

Post by vbonline » 28 Oct 2017, 21:10

I'm using the boblightd server from wizbang and it works nicely.

Any recommendation on MrMc settings like Speed, Saturation, Value and Threshold ?

haffi@haffi.is

Post by haffi@haffi.is » 04 Nov 2017, 09:56

Hey philips hue is way to slow refresh on their lights

I tried this for a long time and lights just don’t keep up their delay is much to high, i.e. It take to lobg time for the color to change.

wizbang

Post by wizbang » 05 Nov 2017, 20:31

Hi Haffi,

The application is designed to make the best use of the Philips Hue Lightstrip and other Hue lights. Phillips restrict the number of updates you can send per second. This is a function of the hue bridge, not the application.
If you want LEDs that respond in milliseconds then you need to go for something like DreamScreen (https://www.dreamscreentv.com).

The app was developed mainly as a hobby to make use of the cool LightEffects client in MrMC and to see how well the Hue Lightstrip would work when combined with this. I think it does a pretty good job myself. Sure there are times when the lights are slightly out of sync with the screen, but its not that often if you set things up well.
Remember, the Hue Lightstrip or bridge was not designed for this. It's just a novel use case.

Try setting the "transitionTime" to 1 in the hueboblightd.conf file. If you only have a single lightstrip then you'll get an update every 100ms.

haffi@haffi.is

Post by haffi@haffi.is » 08 Nov 2017, 22:20

I played with some code but had buffer issues , basicly the commands from mrmc came to fast and just ended up crashing the app. I only has one strip, what is your suggested light setup for this ? Which bulps and locations? Can you post a video of this working ? Maybee 2-3 mins please cause if its ok il purches more lights.