1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

SMB support in MrMC?

Any issues that are tvOS specific
houndtt

SMB support in MrMC?

Post by houndtt »

I was recently looking at all the drama with WannaCry ransomware and was considering disabling SMB1 on all my servers. Unfortunately when I turned this off on my Synology NAS, my MrMC on my ATV4 could no longer see my content there. Can you confirm if MrMC can use SMB2 or higher for server connections or did I miss a step?
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: SMB support in MrMC?

Post by davilla »

libdsm can do SMB2 and higher.
amet
Team MrMC

Post by amet »

or check our wiki for it http://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php/SMB
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

I had to deactivate SMB1 on my Windows Server as well. But when I switch to libdsm I'm no longer able to login to my Server. Normally username is DOMAIN\Username but it doesn't work in MrMC.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Opps, our understanding of libdsm was wrong. It only goes to SMB1 but can handle NT LM 0.12 authorization.

https://github.com/videolabs/libdsm/issues/110

On the list, but would require some major efforts.
houndtt

Post by houndtt »

Hey team, thanks for the replies. I found that this problem also exists in the mainline Kodi v17.1 "Krypton" on my Mac as well. Looking at their forums the same question seem to have come up on this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=314350.

For my part in the MrMc debug logs the following message appears for connection to SMB2/SMB3 mounts:

Code: Select all

23:52:16 T:6144585728   DEBUG: CDSMSession: Failed to connect using SMB_TRANSPORT_TCP, trying SMB_TRANSPORT_NBT
23:52:16 T:6144585728   ERROR: CDSMSession: Failed to connect
In the meantime I enabled NFS on my NAS with the instructions here: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS. The only change I made was to set the access to read only instead of read/write on my Synology setup and I am able to connect and browse content in MrMc.

What I have noted however is that for large libraries like the one I have the refreshing of new content takes quite a bit longer than when I was using SMB. I will see how it goes.
icey561

Post by icey561 »

Okay this thread explained a lot for me as I was in the same boat, I bought a Synology NAS and was having all kinds of strange problems, couldn't see the server until I enabled libdsm but I also turned off SMB v1 leaving v2/3 enabled and couldn't connect, it would give errors so this explains why.

Before stumbling upon this thread I gave NFS a try, I mistakenly followed the Kodi NFS wiki and could not connect but your MrMC NFS wiki guide is more up to date with the right settings to use and it works great so anyone else reading this hopefully avoids the same mistake.

I've also read MS are dropping SMB v1 support from Windows 10 in the fall creators update so that's something to watch out for if shares stop working.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

icey561 wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 14:37 Okay this thread explained a lot for me as I was in the same boat, I bought a Synology NAS and was having all kinds of strange problems, couldn't see the server until I enabled libdsm but I also turned off SMB v1 leaving v2/3 enabled and couldn't connect, it would give errors so this explains why.

Before stumbling upon this thread I gave NFS a try, I mistakenly followed the Kodi NFS wiki and could not connect but your MrMC NFS wiki guide is more up to date with the right settings to use and it works great so anyone else reading this hopefully avoids the same mistake.

I've also read MS are dropping SMB v1 support from Windows 10 in the fall creators update so that's something to watch out for if shares stop working.
We have something in the oven regarding solving SMB issues once and for all. No ETA as yet.
houndtt

Post by houndtt »

Great! Looking forward to it...
davidvb

SMB support in MrMC?

Post by davidvb »

I have a Synology/ATV4 setup but NFS never worked well for me. SMB worked fine unless I access folders with a lot of content. Accessing such folders would take 20-30 seconds to list the content.
Last week though, I was trying some other settings which really improved loading times (8-10 seconds at the very most now!)

These are the winning settings for me:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk