1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

Infuse can browse SMB shares but MrMC (and VLC) cannot

Any issues that are iOS specific
Buadhai

Infuse can browse SMB shares but MrMC (and VLC) cannot

Post by Buadhai »

MrMC for iOS and TV OS 3.05 - Same problem on both OSs

SMB shares hosted on a 2009 MacMini running 10.11.06.

iOS Debug Log: https://pastebin.com/67FQ33F0

I've never had any luck getting SMB to work with XBMC/Kodi/MrMC in the many years I've been using them. So, instead of SMB I've been using NFS for the past half dozen years. Both the iOS and TV OS versions of MrMC can browse and connect to my NFS shares without any problem.

However, when I read the 3.05 release notes on the SMB fix, I thought I'd give it another try. No Joy.

First let me note that Infuse, for both TV OS and iOS can browse and quickly connect to all of the SMB shares on my LAN.

Also let me note that VLC cannot and has never been able to browse or connect to my SMB shares.

As you can see, instead of displaying the correct host name it displays "localhost".

If I try to use MrMC's SMB browser, it finds the correct workgroup (MGN), but if I select that I get an "Invalid Argument" error:

If I use MrMC's zeroconf browser, it finds the share "Bleach (SAMBA)":

But if I select it, the URL gets built as: "smb://LOCALHOST:445/" which obviously won't work (and is similar to the behavior of VLC).

If I manually enter the correct smb url, MrMC simply asks for the username and password over and over and over again.

I have to suspect that this is some sort of SMB configuration error on my part. But, if that were the case, then why can Infuse connect with no problems at all?
amet
Team MrMC

Re: Infuse can browse SMB shares but MrMC (and VLC) cannot

Post by amet »

I think Infuse uses different smb client that supports smb2, or a different flavor of smb1 authorization.

Vlc and MrMC use libdsm and samba client that don't support smb2.

This is something we are looking into but there is not timeline for it, it's not as simple as it might seem.

SMBup is one option for sharing from OS X , I have seen other options to force OS X file sharing to smb1, YMMV
Buadhai

Post by Buadhai »

Thank you. Clear and concise.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

zeroconfig gets 'Bleach' as the host name. "CZeroconfBrowserOSX::BrowserCallback found service named: Methane, type: _smb._tcp., domain: local." All good so far.

Then it does a host to address lookup "getaddrinfo: 'LOCALHOST' -> '127.0.0.1'" which of course is wrong.

LibDSM can do a normal (non-zeroconfig) browse. Try that. Or see https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/hc/en-gb/ar ... hecking-in

Testflight 3.0.6 has more logging turned on for both flavors of smb. This might show what is going wrong.
Buadhai

Post by Buadhai »

davilla wrote: 03 Jun 2017, 11:18 LibDSM can do a normal (non-zeroconfig) browse. Try that. Or see https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/hc/en-gb/ar ... hecking-in

Testflight 3.0.6 has more logging turned on for both flavors of smb. This might show what is going wrong.
I tried using LibDSM, but it no longer detected workgroups, just servers. But it still identifies Bleach as localhost.

I did find that the HostName on Bleach was not set, but setting it, clearing the cache and restarting the Mac didn't help. MrMC and VLC still both identify Bleach as localhost.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Buadhai wrote: 03 Jun 2017, 23:02
davilla wrote: 03 Jun 2017, 11:18 LibDSM can do a normal (non-zeroconfig) browse. Try that. Or see https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/hc/en-gb/ar ... hecking-in

I tried using LibDSM, but it no longer detected workgroups, just servers. But it still identifies Bleach as localhost.

I did find that the HostName on Bleach was not set, but setting it, clearing the cache and restarting the Mac didn't help. MrMC and VLC still both identify Bleach as localhost.
debuglog for that test please.
Buadhai

Post by Buadhai »

Here's the subject log entries:

Code: Select all

09:40:38 T:6147616768   DEBUG: Loading: /var/containers/Bundle/Application/9A7F961E-E34A-45D4-966F-F9EA0CBF9DC3/MrMC.app/Frameworks/libdsm.framework/libdsm
09:40:38 T:6140735488   DEBUG: DllLibDSM:ns_discover_on_entry_added name(LOCALHOST), address(192.168.0.75)
09:40:39 T:6140735488   DEBUG: DllLibDSM:ns_discover_on_entry_added name(RASP), address(192.168.0.56)
09:40:39 T:6140735488   DEBUG: DllLibDSM:ns_discover_on_entry_added name(METHANE), address(192.168.0.77)
It gets the right IP address for Bleach (192.168.0.75), but, clearly, the name is wrong. The other two have both the correct name and IP address.

This must be something in the way I have configured Bleach. I have been running dnsmasq on it for a number of years, but it hasn't caused similar problems previously.

Bleach:~ mnewman$ dig Bleach

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> Bleach
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 35629
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;Bleach.				IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
Bleach.			0	IN	A	192.168.0.75

;; Query time: 4 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.75#53(192.168.0.75)
;; WHEN: Sun Jun  4 09:46:41 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 40
Complete debug log: https://pastebin.com/Dmp20d0Y
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

It's the netbios name that is having problem.

DEBUG: DllLibDSM:ns_discover_on_entry_added name(LOCALHOST), address(192.168.0.75)

scutil --get ComputerName

scutil --get LocalHostName

scutil --get HostName

defaults read /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server NetBIOSName

You can set the value in System Preferences > Network > select the active network port, click Advanced > then select the WINS tab > NetBIOS Name field
Buadhai

Post by Buadhai »

Bleach:~ mnewman$ scutil --get ComputerName
Bleach
Bleach:~ mnewman$ scutil --get LocalHostName
Bleach
Bleach:~ mnewman$ scutil --get HostName
Bleach
Bleach:~ mnewman$ defaults read /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server NetBIOSName
BLEACH
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

Very strange :(

Did you try entering the ip direct, instead of filling it in via browse ?

smb://192.168.0.75