1. No user installed addons are supported, python or otherwise.
2. No, they really are not supported.
3. They are not coming back
4. Read from 1. again

Any mention of illegal streaming sites, addons or any pirated material will not be tolerated. This is not democracy and any offenders will be banned and posts deleted immediately without warning.

Other than that, we hope you enjoy MrMC so far and we welcome any input and feedback you might have.

Team MrMC.

deinterlace deep settings  [SOLVED]

there is zero(0) promises that any of the requests will be fulfilled or even looked at
cosmoxl

deinterlace deep settings

Post by cosmoxl »

As I've grown more experienced with using yadif 2x on the ATV4k I've come to the conclusion that the algorithm isn't looking at the whole screen to decide cadence but only (probably) the center. Whenever the image in the center of the screen is still, yadif 2x is thrown off and skipping or dropping happens. As soon as the center starts moving it locks on to the cadence again.

My requests is that if there are deep settings in the yadif2x code that control what part of the image is inspected, that that area of inspection be increased to include the whole image or a bigger part of the image. Even better is to possibly reveal that setting to the user.

Thanks!
davilla
Team MrMC

Re: deinterlace deep settings  [SOLVED]

Post by davilla »

cosmoxl wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 02:06 As I've grown more experienced with using yadif 2x on the ATV4k I've come to the conclusion that the algorithm isn't looking at the whole screen to decide cadence but only (probably) the center. Whenever the image in the center of the screen is still, yadif 2x is thrown off and skipping or dropping happens. As soon as the center starts moving it locks on to the cadence again.

My requests is that if there are deep settings in the yadif2x code that control what part of the image is inspected, that that area of inspection be increased to include the whole image or a bigger part of the image. Even better is to possibly reveal that setting to the user.

Thanks!
Investigate yadif for FFMpeg, I'm sure they have lots of diddle factors :)
cosmoxl

Re: deinterlace deep settings

Post by cosmoxl »

davilla wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 22:27
cosmoxl wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 02:06 As I've grown more experienced with using yadif 2x on the ATV4k I've come to the conclusion that the algorithm isn't looking at the whole screen to decide cadence but only (probably) the center. Whenever the image in the center of the screen is still, yadif 2x is thrown off and skipping or dropping happens. As soon as the center starts moving it locks on to the cadence again.

Thanks!
Investigate yadif for FFMpeg, I'm sure they have lots of diddle factors :)
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem they do. https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#yadif-1
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

But, there are some other deinterlacers in there that might be fun to mess with. :P
noggin

Post by noggin »

Sorry to necropost - but W3FDIF (aka Weston 3 Field Deinterlacing) is a good option to consider.

It's non-adaptive (so doesn't try to detect motion), but instead it is based on a clever Vertical/Temporal filter. It was patented by the BBC, and licensed by a number of broadcast manufacturers who needed deinterlacers in their digital video equipment - say for high-end picture manipulating digital video effects devices, or frame rate conversion. Once the patent had expired someone from the BBC ported it into ffmbc (a broadcast fork of ffmpeg) and it is now also in ffmpeg.

Because it's non-adaptive it seldom 'gets things wrong', and it's also very suitable for GPU processing AIUI (not relevant to the ATV)

If the ATV4K has enough CPU power, it may be worth seeing if it can do a W3FDIF rather than a YADIF 2x?

Whenever I do any off-line deinterlacing in ffmpeg I use the video filter "w3fdif=complex:all" these days.
cosmoxl

Post by cosmoxl »

noggin wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 11:45 Sorry to necropost - but W3FDIF (aka Weston 3 Field Deinterlacing) is a good option to consider.

It's non-adaptive (so doesn't try to detect motion), but instead it is based on a clever Vertical/Temporal filter. It was patented by the BBC, and licensed by a number of broadcast manufacturers who needed deinterlacers in their digital video equipment - say for high-end picture manipulating digital video effects devices, or frame rate conversion. Once the patent had expired someone from the BBC ported it into ffmbc (a broadcast fork of ffmpeg) and it is now also in ffmpeg.

Because it's non-adaptive it seldom 'gets things wrong', and it's also very suitable for GPU processing AIUI (not relevant to the ATV)

If the ATV4K has enough CPU power, it may be worth seeing if it can do a W3FDIF rather than a YADIF 2x?

Whenever I do any off-line deinterlacing in ffmpeg I use the video filter "w3fdif=complex:all" these days.
Thanks for this.

As it is no deinterlacer can be set and forgot.

bob-inverse sometimes is horrible for shows filmed at 24fps
yadif2x can't lock into the proper cadence for sports material
yadif outputs only 30fps so for sports it's lacking smoothness

I don't mind changing them to suit the need but it's not wife friendly.
davilla
Team MrMC

Post by davilla »

noggin wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 11:45 Sorry to necropost - but W3FDIF (aka Weston 3 Field Deinterlacing) is a good option to consider.

W3FDIF (simple/complex) deinterlacer added for upcoming v3.9.4...